Sunday, January 24, 2010

Tonkatsu


Tonkatsu is a very popular lunch among younger folks in Korea. Tonkatsu is originated from Japan, meaning "Pork cutlet". It is super easy to make as long as you have "panko". Panko is a little bit different from the normal bread crumbs. It's got a little more flavor, I think. I use panko for everything. I usually buy a Korean brand panko but you can get Japanese ones at any local grocery stores. They usually come in a little box. Another great thing about this dish is the katsu sauce. We get Kikoman's katsu sauce and it tastes wonderful. Just drizzle it over fried pork cutlet and you will be able to enjoy an authentic Japanese tonkatsu at your home. If you don't like pork much, you can use chicken instead. Just make sure to tenderize the meat before cooking.

Tonkatsu
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:

4 pieces of pork loins
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup panko
Canola oil
Cabbage or lettuce to garnish

Directions:

In a large ziplock, place the pork loins one by one, and pound the meat on both sides with a tenderizing hammer. (*Or buy a pre-tenderized pork meat. Any local grocery store should tenderize it for you if you ask.)

In separate bowls, place the flour, eggs, and panko.

Coat the meat lightly in flour, then dip in eggs, then cover in panko.

In a large skillet or a frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat. (Drop a small amount of panko in the oil and if it bubbles, it is ready.) Place the breaded pork in the pan and fry until the edges of the breaded pork are golden brown, flip it to cook the other side. Remove the pork from the pan when it's cooked through. (It usually takes about 3-5 minutes to cook it.)

Drain oil on a paper towel.

Serve the pork on a bed of chopped cabbage or lettuce to remove extra oil. Serve with rice and tokatsu sauce.

Enjoy!

41 comments:

  1. I like to cook this at home too! Everyone love it especially kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katsu is one of my favorite foods! I prefer chicken katsu to tonkatsu, but both are delicious. If you're interested, check out a few recipes I posted back in December.

    Katsu Curry: http://www.dailychef.com/blog/?p=392
    Katsu Don: http://www.dailychef.com/blog/?p=393

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anncoo,
    It was also my favorite growing up! It was like a rare treat in our family back in Korea so I made sure to get this every time I went out to lunch with my friends. :)

    Dailychef,
    We were going to make Katsu curry the other night but stuck with this. My husband wants it really badly though so I'll have to make it. I also prefer chicken katsu, actually. But Tonkatsu is also really good. :) Thanks for the links. I will check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooohhh...my favourite Japanese food. Looks very delicious here. We just went for Japanese food yesterday. Really enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE TONKATSU. Thank you for sharing this recipe Sook. I will have to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I search and recently came across your blog and have been reading along. It was wonderful blog. I will give free hit of your site with your article.

    If you have interested mean please post on your Best article in my website - www.bestarticlezone.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious! My family always love tonkatsu. And we usually use the pineapple sauce (from Korean supermarket) for dipping ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks delicious and easy to make its on my list lol Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Sook!

    As much as everyone loves Japanese fish and sashimi dishes, I'm all for the fried stuff. Yum to this one!:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds wonderful!!!I love pork :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tonkatsu look so perfectly crispy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great, I love tonkatsu! When I lived in Providence there was a place that made them and it was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. You have a terrific blog. I love it. Nice to "meet" you. Gorgeous pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks delicious!!
    I like Tonkatsu.
    It is good with rice, also good with bread.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks so tasty. Fast and easy to make, great for a week night meal.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tonkatsu is one of my favorite Japanese dishes! Yours looks so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lia Chen,
    Pineapple sauce would be perfect with this dish! Why didn't I think of that before? Thanks for the tip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tonkatsu...my son love this pork dish...your look delicious and very simple to make...yummie!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need to add Panko to my repertoire......looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. New one on me- sounds right up my taste buds!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love panko, have never tried this sauce but looks so good! Thanks for recipe,

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks really good! I love how light and crunchy panko crumbs are. What a delicious lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love anything using panko - your pork looks delicious and perfectly cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This sounds wonderful. Yum. The whole family will love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This reminds me that I haven't touched the red meat for ages! The crisp on the outside yet juicy, soft when you bite into it.....mmmmm....I am on a DIET! ;-(

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love tonkatsu--although I have a tendency to order it rather than make it myself for some reason. It looks delicious! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh does this look delightful, the panko must give it a very crunchy texture too. Pork cutlets...here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Sook, I have learned something new today--thanks for sharing this simple delicious recipe.
    Panko is so versatile--and better than most bread crumbs.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I haven't heard of katsu (or didn't give it a second glance if I saw it). Now I will have to make a concerted effort to find this as your recipe sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  30. One of my favorite hawaiian/japanese food...yummy

    ReplyDelete
  31. HHmmm...mm.... who can ever resist this kind of food! Such mouthwatering dish. yummm...

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sook, this made me realize how much I miss Tonkatsu! I like to eat it with red miso, too. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love anything that is breaded in Panko. It looks cooked perfectly Sook!

    ReplyDelete