Monday, January 11, 2010

Sichuan-Style Prawns w/ Peanuts


These prawns? They are heavenly. Tasty. And healthy! The recipe makes 4 servings and there's only about 280 calories per serving. But we ate this dish with some rice so that adds up to maybe 400 calories but still that is a very low calorie meal for dinner. My husband and I were happy with this healthified sichuan prawns for dinner tonight.


Eating healthy doesn't have to be just oatmeals and fruits and salads. You can find a way to eat healthy and completely satisfied with what you eat. Well, at least that's what I've found out so far. I'm not an expert at healthy eating or anything so yes, you can say I don't know what I am talking about. But this way, I get to eat good flavored delicious food and still lose weight and feel healthier.


I used prawns but you may choose to use chicken breasts instead. I just love the flavor of prawns! And the sichuan sauce is packed with great flavors! I like my food a little spicy sometimes so I added a little extra red pepper flakes. And it was amazing!



Sichuan Style Prawns with Peanuts
Adapted and changed from "Eating Well"

Printable Recipe

Ingredients:

Sichuan sauce:
3 tablespoons low-fat chicken broth
1 tablespoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, plus more to taste

Prawns:
20-24 tiger prawns, thawed, peeled, and deveined
1 teaspoon rice wine
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
2 cups sugar snap peas
1/4 cup dry roasted peanuts
1 green onion, thinly sliced for garnish



Directions:

To prepare sichuan sauce: whisk broth, tomato paste, vinergar, sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, cornstarch and crushed red pepper to taste in a small bowl.

To prepare prawns: combine prawns, rice wine, soy sauce, cornstarch and garlic in a medium bowl; mix thoroughly.

Heat oil in a large wok or skillet over high heat. When the oil is hot, add ginger and stir-fry for 10 seconds. Carefully, add the prawns mixture, spreading it out. Cook until the prawns begin to turn pink, about 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add snap peas and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the Sichuan sauce and stir constantly to coat the prawns and snap peas evenly. Stir-fry until the prawns is cooked through and the sauce is slightly thickened and glossy, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with peanuts and green onions.

Serve with rice.




36 comments:

  1. what a nice dish I m getting hungry just looking at it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious and healthy. I love prawns

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you emphasize that eating healthy doesn't have to mean eating bland. Fantastic pictures - it's too late to cook right now, but I'll be thinking of this dish tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow mouthwatering dish,very nice recipe,will try it soon...looks too tempting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, yummy prawns.....my fvaourite. Love to see this dish. Best if I can actually eat it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Sook,
    Thanks for visiting my blog and for your lovely comments:)
    You have a beautiful place:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is absolutely 100% true that you can eat healthy and still be happy! There is no reason to deprive yourself and if you are, it means you will not be successful in the long run. So glad you discovered this!

    These look amazing! I love that sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! Those shrimpies look totally delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. eating healthfully is a tricky business, and i fully believe that if your food is tasty and satisfying while still being light, your chances of remaining happy are much, much better. this is a great dish to meet those requirements!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love prawns...this is very tempting dish:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I'm very impressed, you cook good Chinese food too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very impressive! I love prawns stir-fry a lot with steamed rice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum, this looks delicious and healthy too!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are killing with those prawns, they look fabulous!! And if you want to try some King Arthur recipes... just check out their website...it's loaded with good stuff and tips too!
    www.kingarthurflour.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know that I love prawns, right?
    So I already bookmarked this ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you everyone for your complements and lovely comments.

    Love,
    Sook

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tiger prawns are great here, the peanuts are a great crunchy texture to the dish too.

    Regards,
    CCR
    =:~)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks utterly fantastic. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sook, your prawns look delicious...would take a bite in no time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cynthia,
    Alrighty, come on over! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Sichuan dishes. Thanks for sharing your healthy version. It looks & sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's a perfectly cooked shrimp right there..

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks really appetizing with the rice.

    ReplyDelete
  24. OOHH ur making my mouth water...it looks awesome..I love prawns..my fave!

    ReplyDelete
  25. A sumptuous recipe beautifully plated and photographed.

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMG!! This looks beyond delicious. I want a plate right now. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your cooking looks fabulous yummy! Good picture too :o)

    ReplyDelete
  28. mmmm, i love this, especially the fact that it's healthy, wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thx for joining my site. Appreciate your comment and at this same time I am ecstatic to have found your site. These prawns look quite the treat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, it looks wonderful! Definitely bursting with juicy flavor...I'd love this with noodles!

    ReplyDelete
  31. feel like eating it looking at the picture.. looks awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  32. You're right, you can still eat healthy and enjoy delicious food! This meal looks yummy and satisfying...I especially love the nutty, crunchy peanuts in here!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh wow, this is going on my list to try. I need to start more asian-style dinners since my husband is such a fan of the food and this one would be perfect since I adore shrimp. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow. I thought I'll need another bowl of rice for this yummy, savory dish!

    ReplyDelete