Saturday, January 16, 2010

Indian Food all day!!

Oh you have no idea how excited I was today! I got to try authentic Indian food all day today! It was awesome! Our family was invited to my husband's co-worker's house for a dinner tonight. The co-worker and his wife both come from India, although they grew up in England and in the U.S., they grew up eating Indian food almost everyday. So I knew I would experience some of the most authentic Indian food today so I was giggly all morning anticipating the amazing food I'd have.


This is one of my very favorite Indian appetizers, called Samosa! It is filled with potatoes, peas, and curry spices, then wrapped with a tortilla or a flour skin and deep fried in oil. They served these with a red and a green chutney and oh, they were heavenly! The red sauce was sweeter than the green one. The green sauce was a little spicy, which I loved! I will definitely try to make these at home one of these days.


This is another appetizer they served and unfortunately I don't remember what they are called. They are also deep fried in oil and filled with different kinds of vegetables, such as eggplants and potatoes. They were really good with the chutneys too.


This is the curry they made for us tonight and it was delicious! It looked pretty simple to fix it, too. I watched them cook it and I'll be making it at home soon. The rice was actually my favorite thing about this dish. They added fresh cumin seeds to the rice and that really made the rice smell and taste wonderul. When the rice was mixed with the galbanzo beans curry, it was so delicious!


Oh and this dessert! Wow! It is a biscuit soaked in sweet condensed milk... and I am sure there were other things added to the dessert but my goodness, this dessert was fabulous! Once my little boy tasted this, he pointed at it and kept his mouth open so I could feed it to him. :)

I'm so sorry that I don't have any recipes for these amazing dishes! I wish I did. I did learn how to make the rice and the curry so one of these days I will post those recipes once I make them. Until then, we'll just have to drool over these pictures...

31 comments:

  1. Looks lovely, I love Samaosa especially. I know some Indians who live in the UK, also like to use "filo" pastry, before frying or baking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to know u like indian food too...samosa and the rice looks so yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dessert looks like Ras Malai and is one of my favs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would it be okay if just the appetizer "the samosa" served through the dinner? :-) They look incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are the fried veggies perhaps pakora? I love samosa and pakora!

    Maybe the rice is biryani, was it like bokeumbap but Indian flavored?

    It all looks so good you made me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so delicious. I love Indian food!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mouth was watering as I read your post. How fortunate you are to be able to enjoy authentic Indian food, prepared in someone's home. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. everything looks delicious. my husband is a big fan of indian food :D.

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks wonderful - i LOVE samosas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love samosa. How I wish can you join you for dinner ;DD

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Sook,
    I am so glad to know that you enjoy the Indian Cuisine...I love Samosa's with some Coriander Chutney and definitely rice and the dessert is called "Rasmalai" which is indeed irresistible:)
    Great Photos!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Indian food is my absolute favorite cuisine! Everything looks so flavorful and tasty, especially those samosas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yummy! Everything looks delicious- the samosa especially. Luck you to enjoy such goodness :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I Love Samosas, too!! If any of you have a great recipe for it, please send it on my way! :) Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! I love Indian food. Such a treat to have someone cook it for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm drooling, I love Indian food. I am just about to post a new curry recipe that was passed onto me that we made this week...probably not authentic, but it was good..but, that curry dish looks delicious and I love garbanzos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Samosas...sounds like a winner to me. Love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh wow love samosa great food and lovely friends

    ReplyDelete
  19. Did you have some naan too? :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't know why, but my body cannot handle Indian food...which is annoying because I like samosas! Well I like anything deep fried, but that's another story...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum, Sook! I wish I could have sampled the delightful food too. Lucky you. :)

    Psst... I made your Brazilian Grilled Steak and posted about it today. Wow, it is my new favorite grilled steak recipe.

    Thank you so much for sharing it! I'll think of you every time we enjoy it. It's delicious. ~ Mari

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oooh...all my favourite Indian food....yum. And that dessert...my gosh...it has to be my best..with condensed milk!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Everything looks so DELICIOUS - now you've got me wanting to visit the nearest Indian restaurant - I might have to whip up some dahl to keep us pacified until we're able to get the authentic stuff. ~ Mary

    ReplyDelete
  24. Isn't indian food great? Gosh the mixture of spices with the various textures, I honestly can't get enough. Samosas are also my favorite, I really chow down on those bad boys whenever I get the chance :) Great pictures, I am having an indian food craving now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a fabulous dinner. It's wonderful to be invited to a friend's home for a culinary journey. Thanks for sharing this with all your foodie friends.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A biscuit soaked in condendsed milk, oh my.. great post

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is my goal now that I returned from my son's Indian Food all day! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I LOVE Indian food! The meal you had sounds amazing! Especially the biscuit soaked in condensed milk! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh yum yum...you have me craving samosas & pakoras Sook! I can cook a mean Indian meal, and would love to have you over one day!You must try chciken mince samosas too...they are excellent!

    ReplyDelete