Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Shrimp Stuffed Shitake Mushrooms



I realize that a lot of people don't like mushrooms.... at least that's what I found out during vacation. We had house-full of little boys and teenaged boys and every single one of them said they didn't like mushrooms so they wouldn't eat these delicious stuffed mushrooms... Lucky for me and all the other adults, we had more to eat!



So these are by far my favorite stuffed mushrooms ever! I love crab stuffed mushrooms but the idea of stuffing shrimp in shitake mushrooms intrigued me. My mother-in-law, Sue decided to make these for New Year's Eve and I just fell in love with these. All my favorite ingredients are in them - shrimp, water chestnut, ginger, garlic, etc... They were perfect. Although it was a little awkward to kiss my husband at midnight because my breath smelled like ginger and garlic... but he didn't mind. :) Sue said that she'd add a little bit of bread crumbs on top of each mushrooms and I think that would be really good, too.



Shrimp Stuffed Shitake Mushrooms
Adapted from "Las Vegas Food Adventure"

Printable Recipe

18 medium sized dry Chinese (shiitake) mushrooms
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
2 cups boiling water

FILLING
¾   lb raw, shelled fresh shrimp
1 can water chestnuts drained and minced
2 finely minced green onion
½ teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
½ teaspoon granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 egg white
1 tablespoon Chinese oyster sauce (or fish sauce)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon cream (sweet) sherry or Chinese wine (or Sake)
½ teaspoon Asian sesame oil
2 additional green onions very finely minced for garnish

To prepare the mushrooms: combine the water, sugar and soy sauce in and bring to a boil. Place the dried mushrooms in a bowl, cover with the boiling liquid making sure they are all submerged. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for an hour till soft. Drain the water and squeeze the mushrooms to remove the excess moisture, pat dry with paper towels. With the tip of a sharp knife remove the tough center stem without cutting all the way through the cap of the mushroom. Place on a plate while preparing the stuffing.

To prepare the stuffing: The stuffing can be prepared by hand or in a food processor. To prepare by hand coarsely mince the shrimp and combine  with the remaining minced and liquid ingredients. To prepare in a food processor place all of the filling ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Being careful not to over process, pulse several times just to get a coarse mixture. At this point mixture can be refrigerated for a few hours prior to serving.

Generously stuff each mushroom cap with the minced shrimp filling, flattening the tops and place on a broiler-safe baking pan. Preheat your broiler to medium high, place the stuffed mushrooms under the broiler and broil for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown on top and the shrimp filling is pink throughout. Garnish with finely minced green onions, if desired.

Sook the Cook

23 comments:

  1. these sound so good. i love any kind of stuffed mushrooms too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea stuffing it with shrimps! I love mushrooms but my hubs is not a big fan, this might change his mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Peony and three hungry tummies for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. pigpigscorner,
    I hope your husband likes it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Justin, the texture of the shitake mushrooms were excellent! I actually liked them better than the normal ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how nice it is to know this recipe cam out well for you! Yours looked so much better than mine! Happy New Year to you and your family, may all of your recipes in 2010 turn out well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy,
    You're being modest. I love how yours look! Thank you for such a great recipe! I loved it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look cute and delicious. Great as starters. I hope to try that soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sook those look yummy. I will definately have to make them. I tried a recipe for a crab stuffed mushroom once and no one liked them. Thanks for the shrimp idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Sook ;-] Thank's for stoping by. Your blog is delicious!
    XoXo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! I love stuffed mushrooms, I just made some for a party I had, didn't post them to my blog though :(

    I saw you started following my Veggie Tales Blog - thank you! Please also follow my Dulce Doll Blog, I spend A LOT more time on that one!

    http://dulcedolleche.blogspot.com/

    Cristin

    ReplyDelete
  12. These sound amazing! I am always up for anything stuffed with shrimp - garlic and ginger are bonuses :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look absolutely delicious! Such a great appetizer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Sook - I am going to have to try this delicious recipe. I have never done a stuffed mushroom before. So, it will be my first. Can't wait. Thanks.

    Btw, thanks for visiting my blog. That helps me find yours too. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never stuffed shitake mushrooms - only button. This recipe looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Victor, I hope you like the recipe! My favorite part about this dish is the texture of the shitake mushrooms. Also the gingery flavor. I loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I actually didn't like mushrooms until a few years ago. But now that I've seen how foolish I was, I'm going to need to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the crunch of water chestnuts in any recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Sook, these mushrooms look nice.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have to smile; I think mushrooms are an acquired "adult" taste for many (like learning to appreciate the flavor of wine, grins). These mushrooms are elegant!

    ReplyDelete