Tuesday, January 19, 2010

나박김치 Na-bak-kimchi (Cold White Kimchi Soup)


I'd been craving Na-bak-kimchi so much that I had to get all the ingredients to make this very authentic and tasty white kimchi soup. It is a very refreshing cold kimchi soup that calls for lots of different kinds of vegetables, such as nappa cabbage, cucumbers, carrots, apples, pears, daicons, etc. I love the crunchiness of this dish. It's a popular dish in Korea during Summer. But I really like it all year round. Keep it in the fridge and it lasts for a long time. As time goes on, it tastes even better, just like many other kinds of kimchi. Oh and the apples and the pears were seriously my favorite ingredients in this kimchi! So delicious and refreshing!


나박김치 Na-bak-kimchi
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:

1/2 daicon (Japanese or Korean), washed, peeled and sliced
1 heart of nappa cabbage, washed and sliced in bite sizes
1 tablespoons coarse sea salt
1 apple, peeled and cored, sliced in bite sizes
1 pear, peeled and cored, sliced in bite sizes
1 tablespoons sugar
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
1 cucumber, sliced in half-moons
2 green onions, cut in 2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons salt
Water

Sauce-
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
3 tablespoons Korean red chili pepper flakes
1-2 tablespoons water

Directions:


In a large bowl, combine the sliced cabbage and daicon and sprinkle the coarse sea salt. Mix them together and set aside, about 20-25 minutes.


Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the apple and pear slices and sprinkle sugar and mix them together. Add the sugared apple and pear slices, cucumber, carrots, and green onions to the cabbage and daicon mixture.


Sprinkle 2 tablespoons salt over the mixture and pour water into the bowl just to cover all the vegetables.


To make sauce, mix all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix them all together until it makes a nice, thick paste.


Pour the sauce into the vegetable and water mixture and stir well. Store it in room temperature overnight and refrigerate about a day or two. *You may add more salt or red chili pepper flakes according to your liking.




39 comments:

  1. Oh, that sounds great. My mouth started watering as soon as I read the title -- I LOVE kimchi. Bookmarking this for springtime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This picture came out very nice! We love simple, white background photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea how does it taste.
    By the way, I have a packet of Kimchi in fridge, will try to cook kimchi fried rice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beauuuutiful soup. It's clear and crisp and just so appetising!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried this before. Definitely going to have to give it a shot sometime. <3 Kimchi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a little afraid of Kimchi. I think of it as too strong for us, but this is simply vegetable soup seasoned heavily with ginger and pepper. And we love ginger and pepper. Petty cool. Sounds right up our alley. Thanks.

    But sorry. What's a daicon?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi LeAnn-
    Daicon is a Japanese or Korean radish. Japanese ones are long and skinny and Korean ones are usually fat and short. They have the texture of turnips. I can understand why Kimchi can be a little too strong for you. It is definitely different from American food. :) Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice photos - yes, it looks very healthy and satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't tried this with apple in it Sook. I'll have to try this sometime when I have the ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! I didn't know that Kimchi is also used to flavor soups..

    ReplyDelete
  11. yummy!! i love baek kimchi! i'm almost 20 weeks pregnant, and because of my horrible heartburn, i can't eat foods that are TOO spicy. so my mom made me a jar of white kimchi...YUM! your pictures look delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the sound of this kimchi with the pear and apple!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Tummy-
    I totally understand how spicy kimchi can give you heartburn! I've been there! :) Baek-kimchi is a great way to enjoy non-spicy kimchi. I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So colorful and pretty Sook! Sounds like a wonderful and unique soup. You might like to submit this to Deb over at Kahakai Kitchen for her Souper Sundays roundup. I bet she would like this soup as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. such a colourful and healthy soup..looks too good sook..

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a delicious and healthy looking soup. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum, I love this soup! Thank you for posting the recipe! I also LOVE baek kimchi (regular kimchi can taste too fishy for me).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Delicious! I crave a bowl right now because it's a bit cold, and there's nothing better to warm you up inside than a bowl of kimchi soup :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Do you have any recipes for hot kimchi soups? Can this one also be served hot? I just realized that it's supposed to be refreshing, not warming :-P I must be so cold that I'm reading everything as a hot soup!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A colourful and a healthy bowl of soup:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. A lot of eye appeal in this gorgeous, healthful soup!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's my favourite again. I love kimchi! Your kimchi looks very appetising.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I only had kimchis, never heard of kimchi soup... Mmmm time to try ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love all kinds of kimchi, esp the raw seafood kimchi, hehe

    ReplyDelete
  25. i love this!! what a delicious and healthy looking kimchi soup!!thanks for sharing. i added the recipe on my 'to do' list already =)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for introducing me to this soup! I had never heard of it. It is beautiful and I adore kimchi ~ with all those veggies and apples and pears I know we would love it.

    Your photos are irresistible and I must make this. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would like to have the soup right now...looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That soup looks delicious and healthy!I would love a bowl, please!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your soup is so creative and intriguing! I like the aplle and t eh pear in it and am really curious about how it tastes. I would really like to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I made some white kimchi yesterday, will try this for lunch tmr :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow thats awesome colorful soup I can have anytime... perfect for the weather too...yummm

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is something I have not tried, but totally want to! I'm heading out to the Korean market to gather the ingredients for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Just to be clear, this recipe is to be served cold not hot. It is a traditional white kimchi recipe with lots of different kinds of vegetables. Koreans usually enjoy this kimchi during spring or summer time when it's hot outside. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Daily Chef,

    Here is the link to my hot kimchi jjigae with Tuna, you can definitely make it without tuna though.
    http://myfabulousrecipes.blogspot.com/2010/01/kimchi-chamchi-jigae-korean-kimchi-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow, this looks great. I love kimchi but haven't tried anything like this before, the apple and pear sounds especially interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love kimchi and have heard about kimchi soups, but I've never tried one. Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Sook, this looks so refreshing! I know I've told you a hundred times how much I love Korean food but I really do! YUM!

    ReplyDelete