Monday, January 4, 2010

Sweet Shrimp & Pineapple Curry


This Thai curry dish is a perfect choice for my family. It's sweet. It's got a little kick. The original recipe calls for a can of cream of coconut, which is different from coconut milk. Cream of coconut is usually found in alcohol section of grocery stores. I thought the cream of coconut went perfectly with fresh pineapple and shrimp. And a little sprinkle of chopped fresh cilantro... it makes the dish even more divine.


Sweet Shrimp & Pineapple Curry
Adapted from Thai Cookbook

Printable Recipe

Ingredients:

1/2 fresh pineapple
1 1/4 cups coconut cream
2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
12 oz/350g raw jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
steamed jasmine rice, to serve

Directions:

Peel the pineapple and chop the flresh. Heat the coconut cream, pineapple curry paste, fish sauce, and sugar until almost boiling.

Shell and devein the shrimp. Add the shrimp and cilantro to the pan and simmer for 3 minutes, or until the shrim are cooked.

Serve the shrimp with steamed jasmine rice.



Sook the Cook

15 comments:

  1. What a pretty dish!! Happy New Year to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely sounding dish. I love a good Thai curry! Happy 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sweet and spicy combinations! Sounds tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love curries and will be giving this a try. Thanks so much for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just bought pineapples today! I can put them to use with this recipe. This dish looks really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's another beautiful dish, Sook. I love pineapple and seafood combo. I thought of cooking pineapple seafood curry. Time to go for it...mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm drooling. This dish incorporates some of my favorite things into one delicious little bowl of goodness. I MUST try this soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just love Thai cuisine and this shrimp and curry dish looks wonderful too!

    Thank you,
    CCR
    =:~)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's an intresting combo.. pineapple and curry. I love the dish :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Tasty Trix: Thank you so much! Happy new year to you too!

    @Lo: Happy New Year! Thai food is one of my favorites. I just got a Thai cookbook for Christmas so you'll see a lot of Thai recipes this year!

    @Lea Ann: You're welcome! Thanks for your comment!

    @Tasty Eats at Home: I love anything sweet and spicy too!

    @Pigpigscorner: This dish was amazing with Jasmine rice!

    @Janice: Pineapple makes a perfect ingredient for sweet curry dishes. :)

    @Mary: You always make such great looking soup or curry dishes so I'm sure whatever you make, it will be tasty.

    @Babushka: Thank you so much for your kind words! :)

    @Chef Ryan: Thanks!

    @Galareh: Pineapple in curry is usually pretty good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great :) I might try to make this for my Dad as he loves shrimp :) Looks like this recipe doesn't call for very exotic ingredients so I could make this! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alina,
    Your dad would love it if he likes shrimp. I love Thai food because it really isn't too hard to find all the ingredients I need to make it. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like it would be a wonderful medley of flavors! Tasty and easy is what I like!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the china...simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete