Saturday, January 2, 2010

Sue's Sweet Brie Ring



Whenever I visit my in-laws, they praise my cooking and baking. My mother-in-law, Sue always asks me (nicely) to cook meals and bake bread for her. She totally over praises my cooking skills, of course. But it really makes me feel proud of my cooking skills whenever she complements on my food to everyone she knows. And she knows a lot of people. :)


But this blog post isn't about "my" recipe. I mean, I would have loved to introduce this recipe to you as mine, but this recipe is all Sue's. She made this amazing Sweet Brie Cheese recipe with a loaf of french bread around it for Christmas and New Year's Eve and it was definitely a hit! My husband and I were astonished by the sweet flavor of Brie. The secret is brown sugar. Surprisingly, the combination of Brie and brown sugar gave a wonderful flavor to this great appetizer dish!



On New Year's Eve, we made lots of food; potstickers, stuffed mushrooms, and homemade pizza... you see how stuffed we already would have been? But my husband begged Sue to make this appetizer at 10 pm. She kept on saying "no" but after hearing a lot of my husband's whining and begging, she gave in and made it. And oh boy, the whole thing was gone by the end of the night. It wasn't my husband that ate it all. It was little kids that were there. They were going crazy over it! Well, so we spent our New Year's eating this great appetizer. Happy New Year!



Sweet Brie Ring
by Sue B.

Ingredients:

2 Pillsbury French bread loaves
1 round baby brie
2 tablespoons butter, softened
Brown sugar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet with sides on it with a Pam or oil. Place 1 round baby brie in the center of the baking sheet and put the French bread dough around the brie. Make several slits on top of the dough with a sharp knife, about 2-3 inches apart. Spread the butter over the top of the bread evenly. Pack approximately 1/8-inch brown sugar on top of the dough and a little less on the brie. Bake for 20 minutes or until the bread is golden brown. Cool at least for 10 minutes so the bread doesn't collapse when you cut it. Cut the bread in 1-inch pieces and spread cheese on the bread.



Enjoy!

Sook

19 comments:

  1. Yes, I'm with Sue, you cook and bake amazing food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, I'll save this to my favourites (oh, my to-do cooking list is bursting!) and will certainly try it! I love such delish and quick recipes... How did you manage to bend that French bread into such a neat ring?..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sook,
    I really think you are a good cook and good baker. I really enjoy reading your every posts.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year, Sook! Hope you've a fabulous & prosperous new year with your family. Btw, this is such a delicious bake for the day. Cheers!
    Best wishes, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a great idea, I love brea cheese. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like visiting your blog, lovely posts. Happy New Year to you and your loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a great appetizer! I love baked brie, I'm sure this is as good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sook you are the BEST cook i know. dad and i are so proud to have you in our family.You are a great mother and a dream of a wife to our son.You are an amazing cook and a beautiful person.may god bless you and our son and our sweet baby boy in this new year.cant wait to see you all again.hope its soon. <3 mom sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kenny and Anncoo-
    Thank you so much for your complement. You two are also two of the best cooks and bakers I know!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My little space,
    Thanks for the wishes! Happy new year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sue,
    Your comment made me cry.... :) I love you and dad, too. Thanks for making this for us for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anna, Cheah, and Christine,

    This baked brie is fantastic and I hope you get to try it since you all love brie cheese. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alina,
    Sue used Pillsbury dough which is an unbaked, refrigerated dough. So it isn't too hard to make a nice, round bread. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sook, your mother-in-law can't be wrong to praise you for your cooking. I fully agree with her. You have been giving us lots of mouth-watering food here...mmm. And your mother-in-law cooks very well too. Love this Brie Ring. I would have eaten half of that :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Give me melted brie in bread any day ... yum! My sister makes a brie wrapped in a similar pre-made type dough, and she also uses a jar of good berry jam. The combination of of the fruitiness and the cheese is well...you have to beat people away from it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My husband loves brie cheese!!!! I have to make this one for him.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love brie! This looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum!! I love brie cheese so much and this sounds heavenly. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete