Monday, January 18, 2010

Apple Pecan Crisp


When we were invited to the Indian dinner the other night at my hubby's co-worker's house,  I made this wonderful and yummy apple pecan crisp. I had never tried pecans in apple crisps so I was really excited to make this treat. This recipe calls for granny smiths, which was also new to me. It was delicious and the pecans give such a nice crisp, too. Don't forget to dish it with some ice cream! :)

Apple Pecan Crisp 

Adapted from the Neely's Recipe

Ingredients:

Filling:

  • 5 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, chopped small
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup (I didn't have any maple syrup so I used a normal syrup with 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Maple syrup is way too expensive!)
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice

Topping:

  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into pieces
  • 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

For the Filling:
  • Mix all the ingredients together. Place into 7 to 8-ounce ramekins.

For topping:

Mix the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in large bowl. Blend the butter into the mixture until it forms pea size lumps. Stir in pecans and sprinkle over filling.

Bake crisps for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving.

27 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! And really easy to make which I totally love :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, adding pecans is a great idea! Your apple crisp looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks tempting! Apple Crisp with Pecans...wow:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made a pear crisp last week and I added pecans, it was fantastic. Your apple crisp looks incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make apple crisp with white chocolate and caramel, infused with butterscotch booze- have placed highly in a State cook off with this...

    ReplyDelete
  6. A delicious sounding apple crisp!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my favorite desserts to whip up. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This would be perfect with vanilla bean ice cream! Looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE a good apple crisp, and I love the addition of the pecans in this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm... the apple crisp with pecans sounds amazing! Definitely perfect with ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haven't tried pecan in crisp as well. The lump looks inviting and appears to have a nice crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this is a very simple and delicious recipe! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, this looks absolutely heavenly. I hope you left some aside for me daaaaahling!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love crisp! Or crumble, as I may call it if you brought that over to dinner. :) Looks divine, I can imagine all the syrupy fruit mingling with a scoop of vanilla bean icecream!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sook pls come to HK and make me some, haha

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am trying to ward off desserts, but this looks great and apple is one of my few favorites where desserts go... I just went blog surfing through your posts! I should not have done so hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sook, I like crips, specially when served with ice cream...pecan and apple sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks great, love apples and pecans together.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I appreciate everyone's comment! This dessert was fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love making apple crisps-it's the perfect comforting winter treat. I'd never thought of adding pecans to it, will definitely be trying that next time!

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh, i do love apple crisp. i recently had one with walnuts, but pecans sound much more appropriate and delicious. terrific dessert, sook!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Some of my favorite ingredients in this dessert. Apples and pecans. This looks quite yummy! Perfect for a chilly evening by the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yum, this is my favourite kind of dessert. I have been known to eat the leftovers for breakfast..

    ReplyDelete