Thursday, January 7, 2010

Thai Marinated Turkey and Lettuce


Good morning! It's another beautiful day! I'm so, so excited to share this delicious and yet very healthy recipe with you. Like in the beginning of every new year, I said, "I'm going to eat healthier this year!" To me, that means, healthier in nutrition, more vegetables, not too much fat, definitely less sweets!! So far, I'm proud to say I'm doing rather well. Well, but today is only 8th but I'm going to trust in myself this year and do what is right for me and for my family. Oh and for you, too! :) You'll have to remind me and say "Ahem, Sook, what's with these fattening food? Or what's with all these sweets, girl?" if you keep seeing "bad-for-you" recipes way too often. But please pardon me when you see those recipes every once in a while because... you know, I've gotta enjoy life, too, if you know what I mean. But to help you which recipe is healthy or healthier, I will post a little green sign that says "This recipe is healthy" in the end of a healthy recipe. I'm sorry the sign isn't cutesy or fancy but I hope it works.



So this recipe. Oh I love it! It is absolutely scrumptious. You know, a lot of times, healthy food can be bland and sometimes disgusting, yes. But this delicious ground turkey recipe isn't one of those... it's got lots of great flavors! The ingredients aren't hard to find at all, so no worries there. I saw a recipe in my Thai cookbook and then decided to add more stuff and change a bit to make it even yummier. So now I've created my own recipe with it. My hubby loved it, too, if you were wondering. He actually begged me to make it again next week. I think I will.

Reminder:
If you haven't entered the See's candies contest, please do under the next post. I realized that it's a little ironic how I'm giving away the devil's food in the beginning of the new year when you all are trying to eat healthier but I had no choice because I didn't want it! LOL No really, those are so, so wonderful!



Thai Marinated Turkey and Lettuce

Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
Makes 4 servings

2 fresh red chilies
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon grated or finely chopped gingerroot
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon hot water
1 lb lean or extra lean ground turkey
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 teaspoon brown sugar
4 tablespoons *lite coconut milk
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
12 leaves romaine lettuce
Black pepper
Cooked Jasmine rice

Directions:

Seed and finely chop the chilies, then place in a food processor with the garlic, cilantro root, ginger, oil, and water. Process until smooth.

Transfer to a preheated wok or large skillet.

Stir-fry the paste for 4 minutes over medium heat, then increase the heat and add the turkey. Stir-fry for 3 minutes, or until colored.

Add fish sauce, sugar, coconut milk, and chopped cilantro. continue to stir-fry until the pork is dry.

Cut the romaine lettuce, about 1-inch wide. Place the lettuce on serving plates and pour the meat over the lettuce. Sprinkle black pepper and chopped cilantro on the meat. 

Serve with hot cooked Jasmine rice.





22 comments:

  1. That looks very delicious. I love everything about Thai...beautiful flavour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to eat healthy as well, but I had to have a cookie today so I made some butter cookies...I'll be good tomorrow. I like the turkey option, and this would be good with kimchi =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a perfect recipe for lettuce wraps if ever I saw one. I so love lettuce wraps. One question though. How do you store the remainder of an open can of coconut milk if you only need a little bit? I will definately put this in my recipes to try file. Thanks Sook.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me of a Chinese dish called "Minced duck served with lettuce". Light yet flavourful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is like turkey san choi bao, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds so great! I've got to get to an international market and pick up some fish sauce. This sounds so good for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love Thai flavors in my house!!!!! That sounds healthy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It does look delicious and with lots of flavor! I bet it would be fun to use the lettuce as wraps too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Janice,

    You know, why didn't I think of that? Kimchi would be excellent with this dish. Next time I will try it with Kimchi. :)

    @ Carla and Michael,

    Unfortunately, I haven't seen any smaller cans of coconut milk... So in this case, I found a couple of recipes that called for coconut milk so I didn't waste all that great coconut milk... I store it in a ceramic or glass bowl (not plastic) up to 1 week. Hope that helps.

    @ Angie,

    That Chinese dish sounds delicious!!

    @ Lori,

    You should be able to find fish sauce at any grocery stores in Asian food isle or where they have all the sauces in bottles.

    @ Reeni,

    Yes, lettuce wraps are wonderful, aren't they? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great way to use ground turkey meat, I would bet it would be good as a lettuce wrap meal too!

    Regards,

    CCR
    =:~)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is very appetising and I can eat alot....thanks for following me , I'm following you too. Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Ryan,

    The ground turkey was perfect for this meal. The original recipe called for ground pork but I thought the turkey was excellent. :)

    @ Simple Life,

    Thank you!

    @ A full-timed housefly,

    Thank you for following! I can't wait to explore some of your recipes too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. yay for your new year's resolution. I am trying to get my life back on track healthwise as well. This recipe sounds like an amazing way to do it! How flavorful and delicious. thai food is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi sook,thanks for dropping by,leaving a lovely comment as well as for joining in...hope to c u again...u got a very nice blog..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Certainly looks delicious! I would substitute with chicken instead of turkey as we seldom cook turkey here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Joanne,
    I hope we continue with our goals and be proud of ourselves in the end of the year! :)

    @Sushma,
    Thank you for leaving a comment. Will visit your blog again!

    @Jeannie,
    I'm sure chicken would be great! The original recipe called for ground pork if you have that nearby. Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I've only eaten Thai once; but this recipe looks so tempting that I am drawn to it. Looks full of flavor and a good way to make ground turkey a lot more interesting. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mmm this is so salivating! Love Thai food.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ Katy,

    You're right. This recipe made ground turkey definitely more interesting. :)

    @ Cheah,

    Thai food rocks, doesn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mmmmm! This is right up my alley! Love this kind of food!

    ReplyDelete