Sunday, January 31, 2010

Chicken, Bok Choy and Black Beans Stir-fry

Happy Sunday everyone! First of all, I'd like to thank everyone who wished me a Happy Birthday. I had a great birthday. My husband made me an omelet for breakfast and he cleaned up the kitchen for me. Oh and he made me a birthday cake (chocolate mousse cake: YUM!), too. Isn't he so sweet? I love him.

So - I'm not feeling so good today. I have a cold or something. My nose is stuffy and my head hurts a little. But I decided to sit on my couch and post this wonderful recipe real quick. Thank goodness, you can't catch cold through internet. So feel safe to read along. :)

This is a great recipe that calls for my new favorite, bok choy. Whenever I see a recipe that calls for bok choy, I bookmark it. I hadn't really tried anything with bok choy until recently, though. I just never knew what to make with it. Bok choy is great warm. It's excellent in stir-fried food. And it's healthy! The addition of water chestnut and black beans is also what makes this dish so unique and wonderful.

Chicken, Bok Choy and Black Bean Stir-Fry
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:

1 lb chicken breasts
1 canned black beans, drained (about 1 1/2 cup)
1 lb baby bok choy
1 onion, finely sliced (optional)
2-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2-3 teaspoons chopped ginger
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1/2 cup canned water chestnuts, drained
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2-1 teaspoon fish sauce

Directions:

1. Slice the chicken into strips, cutting across the grain. Cut the ends off the bok choy, separate the leaves and shred.

2. Heat half the sesame oil in a large non-stick frying pan or wok. Cook the onions, garlic and ginger over high heat for 3-4 minutes, add the bell pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes. Remve fro the pan. Heat the remaining sesame oil and stir fry the chicken in batches over high heat.

3. Return all the chicken to the pan along with the onion mixture, black bans, shredded bok choy, water chestnuts, and fish sauce. Toss quickly to combine the ingredients, lower the heat and cover and steam for 3-4 minutes, or until the bok choy has just wilted. Serve immediately.



31 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, Sook!...Beautiful use of bok choy, so healthy and light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! Sorry you're not feeling so well, get better soon! This sounds wonderful. I too love bok choy, could eat it stir-fried just by itself, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you feel better soon! Glad you had a good birthday. And, I love the black bean flavoring - it adds so much to chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! This looks like a typical Chinese dish~very healthy. Hope you're getting better and take care :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your husband is so sweet!

    This stir fried dish you made is very homey Chinese, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you had a wonderful birthday!

    Hope you feel better soon Sook!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh this is a great recipe love it get well soon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bok choy, black beans and peppers all my favs, great recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Get well soon. This dish sounds fabulous with the bokchoy. I love that vegetable too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. SOok u come up with the most fabulous recipes everytime...ur blog name suits ya cooking to the hilt dear....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a tempting stir fry, absolutely delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so healthy and delicious looking :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you're feeling better!

    This looks fantastic, so fresh! I heart stir-fry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday, Sook! Great to know you have a wonderful birthday. Your hubby is really so sweet. I can see a lot more on Valentine's Day :D Lovely dish. Bok choy is my family favourite. Had just had it for lunch today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nutritious and delicious, with gorgeous ingredients. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy belated birthday! Bok Choy in a Stir fry is as good as it gets. Never would have thought to add black beans; must try that. Love healthy recipes like this; thank you.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG that looks absolutely DELICIOUS!! I'm coming over to eat it : ) haha

    I'll have to try it sometime

    xo

    Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy bday dear...ur recipe luks gr8 n healthy too...get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really love bok choy and this sounds delicious! I sure hope you weren't sick on your birthday:D Hope you are feeling better soon:D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful dish and it sounds like you had a great Birthday. Happy Birthday Sook!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Birthday Sook...hope you feel better ;-) The bok choy stir fry looks yummie, never had with black beans...would love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Get better and take care. This dish is very appetizing...even with plain congee.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi everyone, thank you so much for all your "get well" wishes. I'm still feeling sick but as soon as I get better, I'll come back with a new, delicious post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have always stir-fried bok choy, with garlic usually, but not yet tried it with water chestnuts. The idea sounds refreshing : ).

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sounds so yummy and healthy! Believe it or not, we're actually TRYING to eat healthy these days so this looks like it's right up our alley!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a healthy and delicious meal.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm sorry I missed wishing you a Happy Birthday on your day, but happy belated wishes to you. I hope you are feeling better now as well. This looks delicious. I am loving black beans lately and this whole dish looks so inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This looks totally fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nice stir fry with all of the natural goodness of each ingredient.... Happy Birthday , Sook !

    ReplyDelete