Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Balsamic Chicken with Baby Spinach w/ Couscous


This recipe is one of my favorite "healthy" recipes that I've come across and have been making this every once in a while since I found the recipe last year on a Costco cookbook. The combination of spinach and the tomatoes soaked in balsamic vinegar is the highlight of this meal. Sometimes I cook orzo instead of couscous when I want more of a pasta meal. I love both orzo and couscous. You can eat this dish with pretty much anything. I'm sure rice would also go great with it.


Balsamic Chicken with Baby Spinach w/ Couscous
Adapted from Costco Cookbook

Printable Recipe

Ingredients:

3 tablespoon olive oil, divided
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, pounded between 2 sheets of waxed paper to 1/2 inch thickness
1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
3 garlic cloves, chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
8 ounces baby spinach leaves
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup canned no-salt-added chopped tomatoes, with their juices
2 cups hot cooked couscous (cooked according to the package)

Direction:

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper (I like to use season all as well). Add chicken to the pan and cook until browned and just cooked through. Remove the chicken to a plate.

Add remaining 2 tablespoon olive oil to the pan, add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add spinach and cook just until wilted, 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then transfer the spinach to a bowl and set aside.

Add vinegar, chicken broth and tomatoes to the pan and stir, scraping any browned bits off the bottom. Bring to a simmer and cook untl the sauce is slightly thickened, about 3-5 minutes.

Divide the couscousbetween 4 serving plates. Top with some of the spinach, then a piece of chicken and the balsamic tomato sauce.




32 comments:

  1. Yum! Balsamic is one of my favourite flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fantastic, love the balsamic tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is surely a very satisfying meal. I love to serve everything on the plate like this....looks gorgeous. Balsamic vinegar goes great with many food, especially dumplings. I'll have to try this...with chicken. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do lots of experiments with couscous...sounds too goo with chicken and spinach...

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yum, fabulous ingredients..sounds great..bet it must have tasted great.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks and sounds delish! I'm gonna give this a try and attempt couscous too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious! I think I'd prefer orzo, but it's nice to have options. The spinach looks especially good - adds flavor and color both. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just a question...you say add chicken broth?
    Is this a measured amount? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anonymous,
    Thanks for the comment. I just went and fixed the recipe. I used 1/2 cup chicken broth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sook! Oh my gosh, this looks fabulous and I love that it's healthy too.

    You've presented it such a beautiful way ~ who wouldn't LOVE that dish? I sure would. :) Thank you so much for sharing the recipe. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Healthy and tasty - what more could you ask for! Looks good, great post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a nice and healthy meal! I love the balsamic vinegar with the chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow , I have that Costco cookbook, I 'd better take a closer loook at it. This looks delicious.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice combo. This looks so good. I like your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thats so colourful and looks awesome sook,yet to try with couscous

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was so excited to see a recipe tried out of Costco cook book.. I work there :-) Perfect Click...and Healthy too....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fathima,
    I love costco cookbooks, actually. I was sad that they didn't publish one last year! I have found and tried so many great recipes from the cookbook. That is cool that you work for Costco! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks De----licious...anything with balsamic vinegar is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow thats a complete dish, looks fantabulous..

    ReplyDelete
  20. My internet troubles me but ur lovely creations bring a smile to my lips-love ur beautiful balsamic chicken dear....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow, this is such a comforting meal! I seldom use balsamic vinegar in my cooking or maybe I should start trying it... The chicken looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Everything cvooked with balsamic is a winner in my book! Beautiful presentation and gorgeous picture!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks gorgeous, Sook! Just look at the colors. Balsamic makes most dishes taste even better. This is a delicious looking recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love chicken recipes!This sounds like a great dish for a dinner party. delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey lady, just wanted to let you know that I have an award for you on my blog here http://www.thegeekygourmet.net/2010/01/my-first-award-honest-scrap.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Sook,
    Just to let you know the Printable version of the recipe still doesn't show the chicken broth.
    Thought you would like to know.
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks, Teresa! Just went and changed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sook, I should not have come over here hungry and I am eating clementines, but I want this! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh boy does this look GOOD!!! Beautifully photographed as well. Thank you for this. I always appreciate a delicious chicken recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ooo I just bookmarked this! Looks/sounds amazing! I think I will serve mine over spaghetti squash for a fun twist :-) I had actually never tried cooking with couscous. Not sure why, but I should give it a shot sometime!

    ReplyDelete