Friday, January 22, 2010

Green Peas Succotash with Shrimp


I discovered the goodness of succotash only a few months ago when I tried a Rachey Ray recipe. I love it! I love how different types of vegetables mix in in one bowl. I found this recipe on a Eating Well cookbook but the original recipe calls for frozen edamame but I could not find them anywhere at the grocery store! But if you have those in hand, you can use them instead of green peas, or maybe even both. Edamame are supposed to be very heart-healthy ingredient. The shrimp and the succotash were wonderful together and one serving has only about 310 calories and this recipe makes 4 servings. Enjoy!


Green Peas Succotash with Shrimp
Adapted and changed from "Eating Well" cookbook

Printable Recipe

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons bacon cumbles or 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, diced (I omitted this because my husband "hates" onions)
1 red bell pepper, fivrf
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
10-ounce package frozen green peas or edamame
10-ounce package frozen corn (about 2 cups), thawed
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon cider vinega
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 pound raw shrimp or prawns (about 24-26), peeled and deveined
1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper

Directions:

Heat oil in a large pan. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and thyme and cook, stirring until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in green peas (or edamame), corn, broth, vinegar and salt. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat to medium low and cook for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, sprinkle shrimp on both sides and lemon pepper. Add the shrimp on top of the vegetables, cover and cook until the shrimp are cooked through, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the crumbled bacon on top and serve.


29 comments:

  1. Sook, this dish looks definitely healthy. A great dish to start the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks both healthy and delicious. 310 calories fits into my allowance any day of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the first time I get to know this name - Succotash. Everything in this dish is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, and here I thought your last shrimp dish was amazing, but this one looks just as delicious. I may not know where to start!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dish looks very refreshing and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I like the presentation of this dish. It is a bonus to know that it has only 310 calories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also made shrimp today :-), mine is with corn http://cookingrookie.blogspot.com/2010/01/shrimp-corn-and-baked-zucchini.html, but I love edamame beans, I bet your recipe tastes great!
    P.s. and my bf also "hates" onions :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great combination of giant prawns, peas and corns. Flavourful, nutritious and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shrimps!! I will scream with delight at every shrimp dish. Has to be my favourite. Looks delicious. Would be great with rice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delightfully delicious way to cook up ur shrimps...love all ur fab recipes dear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow such a beautiful click and delicious dish

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great photos and that recipe sounds so good and healthy.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  13. Funny. Yesterday I was looking all over the net for tasty low carb recipes and heres one. Definetely going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love shrimps. So this is the type of dish I'm want to bookmark it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love shrimps to the core, this looks too good, nice combo' very fulfilling meal:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks colorful and delish...

    ReplyDelete
  17. This truly sounds delicious! I have never tried making or even eaten succotash but I saw Sunny Anderson making it on Food Network--it just sounds great! I am adding it to my list of things to make :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am in such a mood for shrimp!!!! This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. love your blog! great design and pictures! i'm a big fan of shrimp! will try your recipe soon. i subscribed to your blog today. looking forward to more recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum, I love succotash! In fact, I ate my mum's just last week. She usually makes it with fava beans but peas are a great easy option that I hadn't thought of. And the shrimp is a terrific addition.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks healthy, but also FULL of flavor! Shrimp and green peas sounds like a really delicious combo!

    ReplyDelete
  22. this looks healthy and delicious. we always cook the green pea with ground chicken. Definetely going to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  23. mmm - looks so good! We make something similar to this dish (it's so easy to make for a weekday dinner!), but I will try the seasonings you use (lemon pepper) next time!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I so needed a new idea for a healthy dish. Trying to keep my New Year's healthy eating resolution and this will make it easy! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Succotash was something I ate a lot of as a kid. It sounds great with the shrimp. I have a hard time finding edamame too, and I always stock up on it when I do find it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really like succotash, never thought about adding shrimp. I'll bet this was very good indeed. Love the colors, so appealing and tempting. Excellent pix.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks like a perfect dish to make when you come home late in the evening - too tired to eat anything heavy, yet hungry and worn out! I love such healthy meals for my late dinner. Thank you for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete