Thursday, January 14, 2010

Middle Eastern Chickpea & Rice Stew


Would you be surprised if I told you that I had never really tried chickpeas until I had this soup? I don't know why, but I just never did. I've been seeing a lot of chickpea recipes on many food blogs lately and thought I had to give it a try so I did, and now I'm in love with them. This stew is now one of my very favorites. It is a middle eastern style stew with my favorite seasonings, like cumin and coriander. I also enjoyed the rice and sweet potatoes in the soup. The original recipe doesn't call for any meat but we added one cooked, shredded chicken breast in it because my husband is a meat person and asked me nicely if I would add a little bit of meat. So I did. It was great in the stew. Oh and did I mention it is a low calorie soup? One bowl has about 320 calories (about 1 1/2 cups). Nice, right?!



Middle Eastern Chickpea and Rice Stew
Adapted and slightly changed from "Eating Well" cookbook

Printable Recipe

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon extra-virgin oil
1 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced (about 3 cups) *I omitted this because my hubby does not like onions. Sad for me.
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 cup orange juice
4 cups chicken broth
2 15-ounces chickpeas, rinsed
1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded (about 1 cup)
3 cups peeled and diced sweet potato
2/3 cup long grain rice (basmati or jasmine) *I used jasmine
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions:

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; add onions and cook, stirring often, until tender and well browned, 10-12 minutes. Add cumin and coriander and stir for about 15 seconds. Add orange juice and broth. Stir in chickpeas, sweet potato, chicken, rice and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and sweet potatoes are breaking down to thicken the liquid, about 45 minutes. (*I only cooked for 25-30 minutes and it turned out fabulous!) Season with pepper. (The stew will be thick and will thicken further upon standing. Add more broth to thin, if desired, or when reheating.) Serve topped with cilantro.




33 comments:

  1. Looks delicious, and just the thing I'm in the mood for. I'm going to have to get some chickpeas now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the look of this, will have to try this recipe out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sook,
    The Stew looks great and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks tempting dear. Even my husband is ameatperson, he wants meat or chicken in everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Middle Eastern flavours too, looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the look of this stew, middle eastern flavors sound perfect with this dish. So healthy and so tasty, a real winner!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A healthy and delicious looking stew...mmm

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious and amazing! I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm no vegetable fan, but this looked tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm...a healthy and yummy stew...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum...I love chickpeas, as well! Looks like a great soup. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a huge chickpea fan, but Ive never done it in soup. Will definitely have to try this delish and healthy dish! P.S. I use chickpeas in salad as a protein and in making homemade hummus. Let me know if you need a good hummus recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything about this soup looks good to me, Sook! Thanks for the recipe, will def. be trying it. I love chic peas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amy,
    You know I want the hummus recipe! Send it on my way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks like a wonderfully flavorful and healthy soup. Chickpeas are so good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Scrumptious..this is my kind of dish..love chickpeas..yummm :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love chickpeas and this recipe looks like a very tempting combination. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow.. this looks fantastic :) yummy..

    I am here for the first time and should say you have a lovely blog. Keep it going. will be here often.

    You are most welcome to my blogs too.

    Nithya
    www.4thsensesamayal.blogspot.com
    www.nitsarts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. The stew looks great! I don't have much experience with chickpeas outside of humus myself.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so stoked I stumbled onto your blog!!! The recipes all look HEAVENLY and I can't wait to try them; especially the Korean-themed ones. :P I will be happily spending time in the kitchen this weekend. My family and tummy thank you. :)

    Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love chickpeas, this looks great for a weekday meal, when your just about to run out of steam, thanks great pic!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so glad it is now one of your favourites. I LOVE chick pea.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yum! this looks so perfect and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am on such a soup kick lately; it's as if I can get enough of all the fresh goodness that's in soup. This one looks soup-er YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great recipe! Healthy as always, and looks tasty too :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this stew! healthy, but with delicious flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You put chickpeas in this rice? GREAT!! I LOVE CHICKPEAS!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Delicious stew with chickpeas, looks so nutritious and just excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That looks delicious and healthy...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks really comforting! Chickpeas are really healthy, I use them a lot in stews and soups.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh yum - this looks so delicious Sook1

    ReplyDelete