Saturday, January 9, 2010

Sea Scallops with Fresh Corn and Tomato Sauce


This is another wonderful and healthy recipe that tastes fabulous and expensive (but actually pretty cheap to fix). The scallops are one of my favorite seafood to eat but it was actually the creamed corn that made us speechless. The fresh basil leaves also adds a great flavor to this dish as well. If you like the flavor of Italian parsley, you could add those too. My family, however, does not like parsley very much. So we stuck with basil leaves only. I think this recipe would also be very good with prawns, if you prefer prawns.


Sea Scallops with Fresh Corn and Tomato Sauce

Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
Makes 4 servings

4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1-2 cloves choppd garlic
1 teaspoon finely chopped shallot (optional)
1 can corn, undrained
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh basil
salt and pepper
1/2 cup milk
1 tomato, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley (optional)
1 bunch of asparagus, stem removed, cut into 2-inches pieces
1-2 lbs scallops, thawed

Directions:

1. In a food processor - such as magic bullet! :), add shallot, garlic, and corn with the juice and pulse until smooth.

2. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the corn mixture to the pan and stir until translucent.

3. Add basil and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the corn mixture is lightly browned, 4-5 minutes. Stir in milk and reduce the heat to very low to keep the sauce warm.

4. Place tomatoes, parsley, and basil in a bowl to toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

5. Pat scallops and season to taste with salt and pepper. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add asparagus and scallops and saute turning once, for 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown. (*Do not overcook the scallops or they will be rubbery and yucky.)

6. To serve, place about 2 tablespoons of corn sauce in the center of each plate. Top with 5-6 scallops and asparagus.

Enjoy!



21 comments:

  1. looks good .would it work with cream corn?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice looking dish! I love that you use fresh herbs. I love the taste of fresh herbs over dried.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great dish! And those monster scallops!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the ingredients you used in this beautiful dish are my favourite ingredients, esp those scallops, they're definitely something to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fresh scallops is one of my all time favourite seafood. I could eat that plateful all by myself:) Unfortunately it is very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your corn sauce looks so tasty--what a neat idea! methinks it'd be the perfect creamy base to some seasoned scallops. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The corn mixture sounds lovely! Great idea serving with scallops!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is SO colorful and delicious. Great photo!

    I am much more of a basil fan than a parsley fan...although I've been coming around to it in some dishes. So I love the substitution.

    Also..creamed corn base...always delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like a sophisticated and delicious dish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never tried this one..sounds delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thats an interesting recipe there...looks perfect.:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sook! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. It made my day. :-) You've got some fantastic recipes here. I love scallops and can't wait to try this one. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks very delicious. I haven't tried cooking scallops myself. Have to try one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a classy looking dish, Sook! I love the presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow - this looks really, really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a scallop dish that I've been wanting to make and have been postponing, but now I see yours and want to make this instead! This looks elegant and delicious. Love the idea of making your own creamed corn. Can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks everyone for your lovely comments! Your comments make my day!

    Sook

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a sweet and beautiful family photograph u have! You all look just so happy :))

    Im gald u dropped by my blog because now ive found urs. Lovely recipes ...ill definitely be back. i see lots of interesting food here.

    have a good day Sook :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. A fellow korean! YAY!

    OMG. That dish is GENIUS, and I love that corn sauce. I love, love, love it. I'm not a fan of scallops, but I could eat a gallon of that creamed corn thing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sophia,

    It's always nice to meet a fellow Korean! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. this dish fills with color and delicious ingredients!
    i simply cant take my eyes off those gigantic scallops!

    ReplyDelete