Monday, February 22, 2010

Soft Garlic Parmesan Breadsticks

These breadsticks are soft and delicious! When we made lasagna the other night, I just craved good, soft Parmesan breadsticks. So I finally found a good looking breadsticks recipe on "All Recipes" and made these yummies. (If you have a great breadsticks recipe (soft or hard), please send it to me. I love trying making good breadsticks!!)

These breadsticks were perfect with Lasagna. Oh I just loved the Parmesan, garlic and crushed red pepper flakes in the bread, too. I'm not really that great at shaping things... that is why these breadsticks are fat and a little ugly... Someday, I will make pretty breadsticks.. Don't know when.. but I'll keep trying. :) The original recipe was for bread machine.. I do not own a bread machine... I actually like hand kneading my dough. I think it tastes better when you make it on your own, too. But that's me. I know bread machine bread tastes great, too. So I had to make a few change from the recipe. It still turned out fabulous!

Soft Garlic Parmesan Breadsticks
For original recipe, click here

Ingredients

  • 1 1/8 cups water (70 to 80 degrees F)
  • 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 3 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teasoon red crushed pepper (optional)
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine, melted
Directions:

In a medium bowl, mix the water, sugar, and yeast and let stand for 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, mix the oil, garlic, salt, cheese, basil, and red crushed pepper. Then add the yeast mixture to the bowl and stir well. Add the flour and stir well with a spatula. Knead the dough, about 5-6 minutes, until the dough is forms a round ball. Grease a bowl with 1 tablespoon olive oil and coat the dough with the oil. Cover with a wet towel and set aside, about 30-40 minutes, until the dough's size is almost doubled.

Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 20 portions. Shape each into a ball; roll each into a 9-in. rope. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 40 minutes or until doubled. Bake at 350 degrees F for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Brush warm breadsticks with butter.

Enjoy!

56 comments:

  1. oh yeah!!! I can never pass up garlic bread especially with Italian food. These look Yummy. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to eat this...mind to pass me some ;DD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't resist freshly-made breadsticks! I need some of these now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love garlic flavoured bread,urs look so good and perfect and nice recipe to try it as well

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! What a beautiful recipe and addition to the meal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tempting and flavorful bread sticks...truly marvellous!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...these look perfect......so fresh and delicious!! I can eat a few :D I can imagine the beautiful aroma...mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please pass me on the plate. Its tempting. Do visit my blog when time permits. http://shanthisthaligai.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sook,
    Do you add the butter together with the flour? Or have I missed it out?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah,I see, the butter is for brushing not for adding adding into the flour : ).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, my gosh! They look delicious and I will definitely have to try this recipe! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!!! these are so inviting!!!! please pass on some to me as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The breadsticks looks plump and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. these looks so soft and really delicious..all those spots of ingredients make it mouthwatering !!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thats a droolworthy breadstick...nice glaze

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just the name of the bread is enough to make me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look so great, I would probably eat 5 or 6 and just skip the lasagna all together!

    ReplyDelete
  18. No way are these breadsticks fat and ugly! They are fluffy, soft, and gorgeous;D I bet they disappeared right away.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are gorgeous breadsticks. I love how fluffy they are.

    ReplyDelete
  20. They don't even look real they look so good....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your bread sticks look so soft and buttery. Boy, I wish I had some of those right now!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are my hero. I suck at baking bread. i TOTALLY need my bread maker to knead the dough. But when I master the machine, i will consider trying it old skool

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mmmm these remind me of the breadsticks my mom used to make me as a kid. (These might look better ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yum! I would have just eaten bread sticks for dinner! Those look soooo good.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can see these are not your ordinary store bought bread sticks; you make them look so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Sook
    The bread sticks look so soft and yummy. I bet they did not last a moment after you clicked the photo.

    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG those look so good! I think I might be making a lasagna tonight just so I can make the breadsticks - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These look so good. I've never thought of adding red pepper flakes to breadsticks.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those look wicked good, breadsticks are the bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I can just imagine how fabulous these would be warm, freshly baked, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love to see bits of stuff in breads...looks so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  32. OH I love breadsticks and make a batch at least every 2 weeks or so. I've got a great hard breadstick recipe on my blog too.

    I'm making these!

    ReplyDelete
  33. They look so tender and delicious! I can't resist a good breadstick!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Who can pass up warm, soft garlicky bread? Not me. Looks tasty.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  35. Looks wonderful Sook! I bet adding sundried tomatoes in the dough would be great too.

    ReplyDelete
  36. That garlic bread looks really good! I like the use of the red pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  37. They look yummy -- and I love all the flavors you packed into little breadsticks! Can I skip the lasagna and just eat the bread? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh my gosh, I adore bread, and you can't beat Parmesan. These would be gone in a flash in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  39. oh yum, these look awesome. I love nice soft garlicy breadsticks! I'm bookmarking this for our next italian meal :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. The breadsticks sure look great! Btw, they are shaped pretty good too!

    ReplyDelete
  41. These soft garlic breadsticks must have smelt and tasted heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  42. You can't go wrong with garlic, parmesan and bread!

    ReplyDelete
  43. fluffy, cheesy, buttery, and rife with garlic--these are the perfect accompaniment to ANY meal. very nice, sook!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh my goodness... these are amazing... great recipe and perfect for italian dinners~

    ReplyDelete
  45. oh I am definitely keeping htis recipe - these look incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  46. These look just amazing! Yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. wow AMAZING, i am totally drooling over these!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  48. Like you, I do not own a bread machine, so thank you for your version of the recipe. I made it twice, and it was a huge hit with my family. They were delicious! ((^_^))

    ReplyDelete