Saturday, February 20, 2010

Chicken and Potato Curry

Curry is something that my whole family loves. We like any kind of curry - Indian, Thai, Japanese, you name it! If there's "curry" in the name of the food, we will eat it. This curry is more like a mix between all kinds of curry. There is a little bit of curry flavor from all three kinds of curry I listed above. There is (Japanese) curry powder, coconut milk, and a little bit of coriander in the curry and though it may sound strange, it was actually one of the best curry I've ever had! Now about coconut milk - I never use the regular coconut milk. I use lite coconut milk and it has much lower calories than the normal ones. And I do love the flavor of it. You can make this curry a bit spicier if you want by adding more curry powder or crushed red pepper. Oh and the addition of potatoes was excellent, too!

Chicken and Potato Curry

Ingredients:

3 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized chunks
2 large chicken breasts, cut into bite sized chunks
1 1/2 tablespoons oil
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2-inch piece of fresh ginger, finely chopped
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper (*reduce it to 1 teaspoon if you can't handle the spice very well)
2 tablespoons curry powder (*If you have Japanese or Korean curry powder, use that instead)
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups *lite coconut milk
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Direction:

Heat the oil in a large deep frying pan. Add the garlic, ginger, crushed red pepper, and curry powder and stir constantly over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add the potatoes and stir frequently so the potatoes don't stick to the pan, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken pieces, sugar, salt, coriander, chili powder, and salt; toss gently. Stirring occasionally, cook until the chicken starts to cook. Add th coconut milk to the pan and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, about 12 minutes, or until the potatoes are softened and the liquid has thickened. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro leaves.

Reminder: The cookbook giveaway is still going. Click HERE to enter the contest.

44 comments:

  1. Perfect looking Yummy Curry... love the color of the curry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicioiusly yummy curry Sook.....

    Have a fantastic weekend sweety.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love curry, and my husband is just coming around to enjoying... this sounds like a fantastic and easy curry to make at home! I will have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks a lot like my grandma's curry, which is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sook, you are cooking my fvaourite again! Curry makes my world go round :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. That curry looks really delicious...I'm a big fan of any kind of curry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Japanese curry tend to be more sweet and not as spicy yet I still love it. A lot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely combo of chicken and potato. Would love to have that plate all to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow looks great we go crazy for curry as well lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. yum, I love curry. This recipe looks so yummy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love curry too! This looks excellent with potato in it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is really a appetizing dish to go with white rice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Recipe is really nice one,it just looks so good & mouthwatering..

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH i love curry too!!! yours look yummy Sook!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! We like curry anything as well -- and the light coconut milk makes it feel healthy but comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm totally the same way - I love every type of curry! Yours looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Curry chicken is among my favourite winter dishes! Love love the gravy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another one of you recipes that I am keeping; looks really tsstey. i love curry.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  19. give me curry with potatoes added anytime, nice looking dish!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Sook,

    I have an award for you,come and grab it. Have a great week ahead!

    http://confessionsofabakingaddict.blogspot.com/2010/02/memories-from-hong-kong-and-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. hey sook...the curry looks so delicious....

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like all curries too, so good with rice!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I nearly eat chicken and potato curry once or twice a week, haha

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks delicious.
    Il like this recipe.
    See soon.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love curry, and this really looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That looks wonderful..You are right about the coriander powder..It's flavor blends really well with chicken..I can't think of a chicken "curry" without coriander ...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. gr8 preparation with chicken and potatoes,nice flavors and perfect with rice

    ReplyDelete
  28. i'm just beginning to enjoy curry, so i should really try this, it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  29. YUMMY! this is now on my "to-make" list for this week. I plan on making it extra spicy, just the way we like it. Great job Sook!

    ReplyDelete
  30. 'Curry' is a magic word to me!

    The best job I have in the world is being a personal chef for an Indian family! Funny though the son likes for me to make American Dishes, and does not like his traditional homeland food at all!

    I will let them adopt me any day, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This curry is gorgeous! Curries are one of mine and my hubby's favorite meals so both he and I would love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sook, this curry dish looks wonderful. I love just about anything with curry too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This looks and sounds soo delicious! I love curries but have not made alot of them. Will defintely have to add this one to my repertoire! Thanks for the recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm with you on loving anything curry!! This looks like a great dish. My husband loves curry too. I'll have to make this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  35. curry lover here too! I like your curry which looks thick and the coriander sounds like a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I like all kinds of curry too - just don't ask me to choose which is my fav cos' they are all different :P

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you everyone for your lovely comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I am also a curry fan. The aroma and taste is so good and comforting to me! I recently made a dish with coconut milk and curry but didn't think to use lite coconut milk, I'm gonna try that next time. This dish looks very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  39. That looks really yummy and healthy.
    Great job.

    Thank-you visiting my blog.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Yummmm...so good. Reminds me of something my mother used to make.

    ReplyDelete
  41. This looks super easy, thanks. I've made chicken curry in the past but haven't made it in a long time. I think I'll use yours as an inspiration for the Curry I make tonight.

    Great blog. Hope you get a chance to follow mine.
    http://epicureanenthusiast.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  42. Terrific recipe. Easy and delicious! Thanks for posting. The whole house smells like curry, and everyone is full.

    ReplyDelete