Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Chicken Adobo

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone who wished me well. I feel a little better this morning. In fact, I've been so sick that I lost 4 lbs in two days without even exercising. ha ha

Okay about this recipe... To be honest, it was my first time trying adobo. I found this recipe on a cookbook I bought not too long ago and I was way excited to try it. It was really tasty and I liked it a lot. I used only chicken breast but thighs would be really good, too, I think. You're supposed to marinade the chicken for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator but I didn't because I hadn't read the instruction ahead and it was already late so I skipped the marinade part. But next time, I'm definitely marinading the chicken for 2-3 hours so that all the flavors in the sauce soaks right into the chicken. But it still tasted excellent.

Chicken Adobo
Adapted and changed from New Asians Cooking Cookbook


Ingredients:

1-2 lbs chicken breasts or/and thighs, cut into pieces
6 cloves garlic crushed
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups chicken stock/broth
1 bay leaf
1 tsp coriandr seeds
1 tsp black peppercorns
1/4 tsp paprika
1/5 tsp tumeric
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar *optional
2 tablespoons oil

Directions:

Marinade:
Combine all the ingredients, except the oil, in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Transfer the mixture to a large heavy-based pan, bring to the boil over high heat, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 mminutes. Uncover the pan and continue cooking for 10 minutes, or until the chicken is tender. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. Bring the liquid back to the boil and cook over high heat for 10 minutes or until reduced by half. Heat the oil in a wok or large non-stick frying pan and add the chicken in batches, cooking over mdium heat for 5 minutes, or until crisp and brown. Serv the reduced sauce mixture over the chicken pieces and accompany with rice.

*If the sauce does not thicken to your desired consistency, mix 1 tbs cornstarch and 1 tbsp water and pour it into the sauce and stir to thicken.

37 comments:

  1. Lovely dish but looks like it's very sour without any sugar. Is it meant to be sour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sook! Your blog looks great :) I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary, the recipe doesn't call for any sugar but I did add about 2-3 tablespoons of sugar. Thanks for the comment. I will have to go fix it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. verry different adobo than I am used to making - looks interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't made adobo for years. But we eat them occasionally at restaurants. People have different version of adobo in every home and they would be proud it say it's the best adobo. It's the first time for me to encounter sugar in adobo. That's interesting. But the dish looks great with a really appetizing color. :)Glad you're well now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A different adobo than I'm used to seeing as well, but it sure looks awesome. Definitely going on The List!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi guys! I don't really know what a adobo is. I know, I'm lame. But I found this recipe on a cookbook. So I don't even know if this recipe is authentic at all. But it tasted very good. I added the sugar because it was a little too sour for me. I even reduced the amount of vinegar to 2/3 but the sugar made it nice for me. But you can definitely do without sugar, if that's what you're more used to. :) Thank you for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you are feeling better! This is another dish Ive been wanting to cook since I can't remember when haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you're feeling better! This dish looks so unique and delicious...and full of flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is the only silver lining to being sick- weight loss.
    Glad to hear you are feeling better.
    Chicken looks too yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi sook,nice to know that ur feeling much better now...hope u get well soon...chicken dish looks delicious with rice and very nice recipe too..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sook, so glad that you are feeling better.
    Your chicken adobo dish looks very tasty-I agree made with chicken thighs it would be delightful. Chicken thighs add a bit more flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. each one has their version of adobo sook and yours looks great.

    adobo is a popular dish in the philippines and also in latin american countries and spain. the recipes though in each region differ.

    i am used to a sour kind of adobo, which is basically a trademark of adobo in the philippines. my recent post was chicken adobo too but i introduced a twist on it wherein i added some sauce and deep fried it with a light breading.
    good job on your first adobo attempt... it looks genuine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am happy you are feeling better!

    I wonder if this would work with chicken thigh meat instead of breast? Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good to know you are recovering. Chicken Adobo has been on my list since long. Should try.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love adobo, chicken thighs would be wonderful also with this, great pic!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you are feeling better! Chicken adobo sounds delicious, I would love to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you're feeling better! Your adobo has great color.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks great - Really glad to hear you're feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Woww lipsmacking chicken adobo...eyecatching dish..

    ReplyDelete
  21. This chicken adobo looks fabulous! Love the sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  22. When I was travelling in Boracay and Manila, I ate lots of adobo dishes, haha. You cook so well!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Sook,this is fantastic chicken U always come up with most fab recipes and love that u named ur blog so....cheers.....

    The delightfull flavours of asia at their bestest out here.....

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never had the adobo chicken either, at least not that I can remember! I just love chicken and how versatile it is. Having it plain is almost boring because there's so many possibilities. My favorite chicken dish would probably have to be chicken parm!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Chicken Adobo is a fantastic Filipino dish. I have lots of versions of adobo in my blog. Yours look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Snook,
    Good to hear that you are better. And back with a bang. chicken Adobo is looking fantastic. The pic looks awesome.
    Deepa
    http://hamareerasoi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. oh.. the chicken Adobo looks delicious!!Have never had it, but would love to try. =)

    ReplyDelete
  28. That chicken looks delicious! The flavors are amazing! Adobo is a spanish word that we use foe marinade.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That looks amazing. I want some chicken with rice right now!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the sauce! Just look at the gorgeous color. I am glad to hear you are starting to feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi everyone, yes, chicken thighs would be great, too. I used chicken breasts because that's what I had in the fridge. :) Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  32. OH boy does this look yummy or what! Excellent Photo!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Looks and sounds so very good!! I always appreciate a new way to cook chicken. Thank you!

    Glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am already in love with this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow you're a better Filipino than I am and you're Korean! I've never made this quintessential Filipino dish before but it's been on my list of things to cook.

    It looks delicious and I only hope I can make mine as delicious as yours! If not, I'll respectfully hand you my Filipino card ;)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I LOVE adobo. My sister in law is from the Philippines and she was the one who taught me how to make it but I am always changing it up to try something new. You can check out how I make it at: http://blog.foodservicewarehouse.com/sugar-and-spice/2010/02/05/the-easiest-meal-in-the-world-adobo-filipino-style/ if you are interested. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete