Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Indian Naan

One of my friends gave me this recipe not too long ago (Thanks, Amy!) and one night, we made this wonderful Indian thin bread (Naan) to go with Chicken Masala. The Naan isn't too hard to make, it just takes time and a little bit of patience. The pictures show not-so-perfectly-round-and-somewhat-ugly-shaped naan, but that's my fault. I wasn't patient enough to reshape the naan before I baked it. I was almost starved by the time I was about to bake it. But I am sure that yours will turn out a lot prettier than ours. The naan is soft and tastes so great!


Indian Naan

Ingredients:
  • 2/3 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
  • 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup ghee
  • 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
  • 2 teaspoons kalonji (onion seed)
Direction:
  1. Whisk the warm water with the yeast and sugar until the yeast is dissolved. Cover and let stand in a warm place for 10 minutes.
  2. Sift flour and salt three times into a large bowl add the yeast mixture, half of the ghee and all the yogurt. Mix into a soft dough then knead on a floured surface for about 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a large greased bowl, cover and let stand in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours or until the dough is doubled in size .
  3. Punch down dough then knead for 5 minutes. Divide dough into 6 pieces. Roll each piece out into 8 inch round naans.
  4. Cover an oven tray with foil and grease the foil. Brush the naan with a little of the remaining ghee and sprinkle with some of the kalonji. Cook naan one at a time under a very hot grill (I baked mine in the oven at 475 degrees F - Make sure to preheat the oven at least for 30 minutes prior to baking) for about 2 minutes on each side or until puffed and just browned.
Adapted from All recipes

5 comments:

  1. So happy you tried this and liked it! Recipe Alterations: I also like to mince some garlic and add it into the ghee/melted butter mixture and brush it on before cooking it. A sprinkling of paprika also gives it a nice touch of color. I also altered the cooking method and cooked mine in a cast iron pan over the stove. My pan has grill lines so it looked like it came off of the barbecue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks really authentic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've blogged about your fabulous naan recipe on my blog! It was tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilary,

    I am glad that you liked the Naan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sook, love reading your recipe and food blog, makes me so hungry now.

    ReplyDelete