Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Savory Mozarella Cheese Twist

This bread? It's wicked good. Delicious is what I mean. I loved the savory filling inside the bread. We had this bread as a meal on a Friday night, watching a meaningless, stupid-funny movie, and it was perfect. It isn't too hard to make though it looks hard... Really, it's not!! The savory gives such a nice flavor, sweet, but not too sweet, and rich. You may also use Swiss cheese instead. I used Mozzarella and it turned out fabulous.

I had to make a few changes from the original recipe because it was for bread machine. I don't own a bread machine so I made it by hand. So for those who do have a bread machine, I will also write an instruction for you.

Savory Mozzarella Cheese Twist
Adapted from Betty Crocker's Baking for Today
(with some changes)

Ingredients:

3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon lukewarm water
1 egg
2 tablespoons butter, softened
3 1/4 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons dry active yeast
Savory Filling (Recipe follows)
1/3 cup shredded Swiss or Mozzarella cheese

Direction:

Measure carefully, placing all ingredients except Savory Filling and cheese in a large bowl. (If you have a bread machine, you may place all ingredients in the machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select Dough/Manual cycle. Do not use Delay cycle.)

Stir the ingredients with a spatula until all ingredients are mixed well. Knead the dough until it becomes elastic and forms a round ball, about 5 minutes. Grease the bottom of a bowl, and roll the dough to coat in oil. Cover with a damp towel and let rise, about 30-40 minutes. (For bread machine, romove dough from pan, using lightly floured hands; place on lightly floured surface. Cover dough and let rest 10 minutes.)

Make Savory Filling.

Savory Filling:
1/2 cup shredded Swiss or Mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup finely chopped red or green bell pepper or both (I used both)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons chopped green onions
2 tablespoons mayonnaise (I used low fat and it tasted great.)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

In small bowl, mix all ingredients and set aside.

Grease large cookie sheet with shortening or spray with cooking spray. Roll dough into 15X10-inch rectangle. Spread filling over dough to within 1/2 inch of edges. Roll up dough, beginning at 15-inch side; pinch edge of dough into roll to seal. Cut roll lengthwise in half. When you're done, the dough should look like this.

Place halves, filling sides up and side by side, on cookie sheet.

Twist together gently and loosely; pinch edges to seal.

Cover and let rise in warm place about 25-40 minutes, or until dough has doubled in size. (Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.)

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown; immediately sprinkle with cheese. Serve warm.

Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. This looks amazing. Great pictures. I just ate dinner, now I am hungry again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wowwwwwwwwwwwww.....................great recipe, and beautifully described with step by step pictures which makes it easy to understand. Thanks for sharing it dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like artwork. And I love the new signature, Sook the Cook. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your comments! Amy- I like the new signature, too, ha ha, it rhymes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks absolutely delicious. I may have to make this for a Mary Kay party I am being forced to have next week. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is impressive

    By the way I changed my site address to https://chowandchatter.blogspot.com
    To match the name ! Love Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Rebecca - I saved your blog address.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so good ! Great twists!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made this last night and it turned out beautiful... thanks for the great instruction -- only my second time making some sort of homemade bread-thing.
    I really enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Big E, I am so glad that it turned out well! Thanks for letting me know! :)

    ReplyDelete