This post is dedicated to those who are in search of healthy and yet very tasty recipes. Healthy food doesn't have to taste bland. The combination of scallops and asparagus give such a nice flavor. It's hard not to fall in love with this dish. The greatest thing about this dish is that you can add about any of your favorite vegetables and it will still taste great!! And it's also filling.. and you will still lose weight the next day, if you're trying to lose weight. Of course, with some walking or maybe with some yoga moves...
Stir-Fried Scallops with Asparagus
Adapted slightly from Ethnic Cuisine
1 lb raw shucked scallops
2 tsp salt
10 fresh asparagus spears
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 oz canned bamboo shoots, drained, rinsed
6 oz canned baby corn, drained, rinsed
4-6 small sweet peppers, thinly sliced (in rings)
1 small carrot, finely sliced
4 thin slices fresh gingerroot
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp rice wine or sake
2 tbsp low sodium or regular chicken stock
1 tsp sesame oil (optional)
1. Sprinkle the scallops with half the salt. Let stand for 20 minutes.
2. Trim the asparagus, discarding the tough ends. Cut into 2-inch/5-cm pieces.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil in a wok or deep pan over high heat. Add the scallops and stir-fry for 30 seconds to 1 minutes. Remove, then drain on paper towels and set aside.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining vegetable oil in the wok or pan over high heat. Add the asparagus, bamboo shoots, baby corn, and carrot and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Season with the remaining salt. Add the scallops to the wok or pan.
5. Add the ginger and garlic and stir-fry until fragrant. Add the rice wine and stock. Cover and simmer for 2 minutes, then toss through the sesame oil if desired and serve with rice.
Warning: Don't cook the scallops and vegetables more than 5 minutes on high heat.