Chicken Tikka Kebabs
Adapted with slight changes from Rachel Ray's Recipe
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 rounded tablespoon mild curry paste
- 1 lemon, juiced
- A handful (3 tablespoons) cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast meat, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce or tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Coarse salt
- Rice or flat bread or naan
Preheat grill pan or indoor electric grill to high.
Combine yogurt, curry paste, lemon juice, and cilantro in a shallow dish. Add chunks of chicken and coat evenly in yogurt sauce. Lace meat onto skewers. When you are about 10 minutes away from eating, place chicken on hot grill (indoor or outdoor) and cook 5 or 6 minutes on each side, until charred at edges and chicken meat is firm.
Place a small heavy skillet on stovetop over high heat. When pan is very hot, add whole tomatoes. Pan roast the tomatoes until charred on all sides. Place the tomato sauce and charred fresh tomatoes in a food processor.
Return skillet to heat and toast mustard and coriander seeds and crushed red pepper until they pop. Add seeds and flakes to food processor with a few pinches coarse salt. Pulse grind tomato mixture into a chunky chutney and transfer to a small bowl.
Simmer the tomato chutney until warm. Pour the sauce over the kebabs. Serve with rice or flat bread.