Wednesday, August 5, 2009

(Thai) Coconut Curry

Just in case you didn't know, I'm in love with curry. Really. Any type of curry. Japanese, Indonesian, Indian, Thai.... I just love the way the curry sauce soaks in Jasmine rice.. oh and the smell of Jasmine rice... Curry won't taste the same without it. (Well, except Japanese curry tastes better with short grain, sticky rice..) When I was pregnant with my boy, I always craved good, delicious Thai curry. I had morning sickness all day and I had to drive down to L.A to drop off our friend who was visiting from Korea. I couldn't keep down anything and was exhausted!! I couldn't even smell my husband's turkey sandwich!! Returning home from the miserable trip down to L.A, I finally thought of something that I thought I could eat. And that was Thai curry. Red. Green. Yellow. It didn't matter. It all sounded so good! I remember my husband picking up a Thai curry dish for me almost once a week for me. Ah, memories...

This Thai curry dish is so scrumptious! It's a little bit sweet with a kick. I used normal red potatoes this time but I usually like sweet potatoes in my homemade curry. This recipe makes a ton, too! My husband and I ate the leftover for lunch for days and we still weren't sick of it. It was that good.

Coconut Curry

Ingredients:

3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch strips or beef strips
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
5 small sweet peppers, cut in rings
2 tablespoons curry powder (or 2 tbsp red or green curry paste)
1 teaspoons paprika
1/2-1 teaspoon cayenne
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 red potatoes, cut in chunks (or 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut in chunks)
1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 can bamboo shoots
3 tablespoons sugar
Jasmine rice (cooked)

Direction:

Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat and add curry powder, paprika, cayenne, garlic, and sweet peppers and stir until the peppers are tender.

Add the chicken gently and stir to coat evenly with the curry powder mixture. When the chicken starts to cook, add the coconut milk, stewed tomatoes, and tomato sauce into the wok or skillet. Reduce heat to medium and let it cook 5-7 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.

Add the potatoes (or sweet potatoes), bamboo shoots, and sugar and cook another 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.

Serve over Jasmine rice if desired.

Enjoy!!

5 comments:

  1. the only thing better than a great curry dish are the leftovers the next day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin- I agree that the leftovers is always fun! I always look forward to having some more the next morning when I wake up. he he

    Rebecca-
    Isn't it great to be able to make homemade curry?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks and sounds delicious! I love curry and coconut milk.

    Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wooow.. delicious thai curry recipe:).. you have a wonderful blog!!

    ReplyDelete